About the Post

Author Information

I'm not a film critic, but I'll tell you what I think about the movies I watch. I enjoy understanding the history behind the movies we watch, as well as the collaborative effort necessary to produce movies.

My 2011 Favorites

The last year was good to me, and good to movie lovers everywhere. I started DidYouSeeThatOne.com and devoured movies both new and old. Now it’s time to choose the highlights of the year. Since there are so many movies from previous years, I’ll be focusing on the movies released in 2011.

My top eleven movies of 2011 are (in alphabetical order):

50/50

Despite being tagged as a comedy, this is an emotional drama with a great story.

Captain America

2011 was the year I opened up to the comic book films. Captain America was a great start for me.

Crazy, Stupid, Love.

This is one of the best romantic comedies I’ve seen in a long time.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Perhaps one of the most intense movies of the year. I loved it!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part II

If you’re going to end the most popular movie series ever, this is the way to do it.

Immortals

This was the most visually exciting movie of the year.

J. Edgar

If Leonardo DiCaprio doesn’t win an Oscar I might be offended on his behalf.

Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol

Bringing life to a series that has so much potential, now it’s on top of the box office.

Moneyball

Brad Pitt’s home run with a surprisingly good performance by Jonah Hill to top it off.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

It took a great movie to meet expectations after the first movie.

War Horse

This one brought half the audience to tears with the emotional  and inspirational story.

Well, there you have it. I know that there are a lot of opinions out there but these are mine. There are also a lot of other great movies out there that I couldn’t add to the list. I also have a list a mile long of movies from last year I still need to see. Now we’ll move on to 2012 and hopefully a new batch of amazing films.

Advertisements

Tags: , , , ,

13 Comments on “My 2011 Favorites”

1. Mandy January 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM #

Great list! I saw (and loved!) all of them but the last 5 on your list. Need to see those I guess since it seems you have excellent taste in film!

• jeffro517 January 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM #

Thank you. The last 5 are all great, I hope you get a chance to see them.

2. Brandon January 5, 2012 at 5:02 PM #

Mine:

1) The Artist – 10/10
    2) Super 8 – 10/10
    3) Hugo – 9/10
    4) Rise of the Planet of the Apes – 9/10
    5) Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol – 9/10
    6) Midnight in Paris – 9/10
    7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 – 9/10
    8) The Muppets – 8/10
    9) The Tree of Life – 8/10
    10) X-Men: First Class – 8/10

Still a lot more films to see….

• jeffro517 January 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM #

I love this list. Your top 3 are all films I’m still trying to see.

3. adampbellotto January 8, 2012 at 9:41 PM #

Great list! The ending of War Horse (with Albert and the horse against the orange sunset) was so beautiful and moving.

And I don’t have a full list myself, but I think my favorite film this year was Drive.

• jeffro517 January 8, 2012 at 11:44 PM #

Drive is on my list still. I’m not sure what made me miss it but I hope to have a review on it soon.

4. Matt Stewart January 8, 2012 at 10:20 PM #

Good job Jeff! Way to avoid all of the list cliches this year already :)

• jeffro517 January 8, 2012 at 11:44 PM #

Thanks! It’s fun to reflect on the films I’ve watched. It would be much harder to make the list if I include the other 150 plus films I saw that didn’t come out last year.

5. jeffro517 January 10, 2012 at 7:27 PM #

I am going to add Drive as an honorary mention after seeing it. What a great movie for 2011.

• adampbellotto January 10, 2012 at 8:14 PM #

Isn’t Drive wonderful? I saw it months ago and the image of Ryan Gosling in that creepy stunt mask still pops up in my thoughts on a regular basis. So many memorable moments from that film.

6. Reed January 28, 2012 at 10:58 PM #

Thanks for the like and comment. I have seen only half your list, but I agree with Moneyball, Mission Impossible and 50/50. I found Sherlock Holmes lacking, though.

Two other comments. 1. The movies currently listed under “Guilty Pleasures” are really just “Pleasures.” Every movie on that list (with the possible exception of Romeo + Juliet) is a classic! Also dig your love of James Stewart, one of my favorite actors.

• jeffro517 January 29, 2012 at 9:12 PM #

My love for Jimmy Stewart is in the initial impression that he’s the same guy in every movie which is shattered once you’ve seen a few of the films.

7. rwhyan January 28, 2012 at 11:20 PM #

Nice list! Very interesting choices for sure. 50/50 was such a great movie, still surprised it isn’t getting much oscar love!