So I might not have all the reviews up, but I’ve made good work of the nominated films this year. Here is a very quick breakdown of the nominees, who I think should win, and who I think will win.
I have decided not to weigh in on television since I haven’t even begun to scratch the surface with some of the nominees.
BEST PICTURE – DRAMA
- The Irishman
- Marriage Story
- The Two Popes
Should win: The Irishman
Will win: The Irishman
UPDATE: WINNER: 1917 took it home! It’s hard to be surprised when you’re talking about five great films. The Oscars just got a lot more interesting.
BEST PICTURE – MUSICAL OR COMEDY
- Dolemite Is My Name
- Jojo Rabbit
- Knives Out
- Once Upon a Time… In Hollywood
Should win: Jojo Rabbit
Will win: Once Upon a Time… In Hollywood
UPDATE: WINNER: Once Upon a Time… In Hollywood is an excellent film. I liked Jojo Rabbit as a comedy more than this one. Still, it’ll be more interesting when the category is Best Picture at the Academy Awards.
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama
- Scarlett Johansson – Marriage Story
- Saoirse Ronan – Little Women
- Charlize Theron – Bombshell
- Renee Zellweger – Judy
- Cynthia Erivo – Harriet
Should win: Saoirse Ronan
Will win: Scarlett Johansson
UPDATE: WINNER: This isn’t a huge surprise when you look at the performances nominated. Still, I don’t think Zellweger was the best.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama
- Christian Bale – Ford V. Ferrari
- Antonio Banderas – Pain and Glory
- Adam Driver – Marriage Story
- Joaquin Phoenix – Joker
- Jonathan Pryce – The Two Popes
Should win: Joaquin Phoenix
Will win: Joaquin Phoenix
UPDATE: WINNER: Joaquin Phoenix nailed his performance and I don’t think it’s even close. The other nominees were all great, but he delivered something special.
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
- Ana de Armas – Knives Out
- Awkwafina – The Farewell
- Cate Blanchett – Where’d You Go, Bernadette
- Beanie Feldstein – Booksmart
- Emma Thompson – Late Night
Should win: Awkwafina
Will win: Ana de Armas
UPDATE: WINNER: I’m glad to see Awkwafina take this award home. That was possibly the most surprisingly good movie of the year for me.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
- Daniel Craig – Knives Out
- Roman Griffin Davis – Jojo Rabbit
- Leonardo DiCaprio – Once Upon a Time… In Hollywood
- Taron Egerton – Rocketman
- Eddie Murphy – My Name Is Dolemite
Should win: Eddie Murphy
Will win: Leonardo DiCaprio
UPDATE: WINNER: Taron Egerton did good work with Rocketman. I’m a little surprised given the overall reception of that film when compared to some of the other nominated works.
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture
- Annette Bening – The Report
- Laura Dern – Marriage Story
- Jennifer Lopez – Hustlers
- Margot Robbie – Bombshell
- Kathy Bates – Richard Jewell
Should win: Laura Dern
Will win: Laura Dern
UPDATE: I’m so glad she won. She’s incredibly talented, and this movie showcases just how good she can be.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture
- Tom Hanks – A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
- Anthony Hopkins – The Two Popes
- Al Pacino – The Irishman
- Joe Pesci – The Irishman
- Brad Pitt – Once Upon a Time… In Hollywood
Should win: Joe Pesci
Will win: Joe Pesci
UPDATE: WINNER: Brad Pitt was great in Once Upon a Time…, but I’m not sure that he was better than Pesci. Still, great performances aren’t separated by much. Good win for a good film.
Best Director – Motion Picture
- Martin Scorsese – The Irishman
- Quentin Tarantino – Once Upon a Time… In Hollywood
- Bong Joon Ho – Parasite
- Sam Mendes – 1917
- Todd Phillips – Joker
Should win: Bong Joon Ho
Will win: Martin Scorsese
UPDATE: WINNER: Sam Mendes. I didn’t see this coming, but it’s not a huge upset. Great win for a talented director.
Best Screenplay – Motion Picture
- Noah Baumbach – Marriage Story
- Bong Joon Ho, Han Jin Won – Parasite
- Anthony McCarten – The Two Popes
- Quentin Tarantino – Once Upon a Time… In Hollywood
- Steve Zaillian – The Irishman
Should win: Steve Zaillian
Will win: Noah Baumbach
UPDATE: WINNER: Quentin Tarantino. Another miss, but once again it’s hard to be upset. These are all excellent nominees and all very deserving screenwriters.
Best Motion Picture – Animated
- Toy Story 4
- Frozen 2
- How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
- The Lion King
- Missing Link
Should win: How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
Will win: Toy Story 4
UPDATE: WINNER: Missing Link surprised me a lot with this win.
Best Motion Picture – Foreign Language
- The Farewell
- Les Miserables
- Pain and Glory
- Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Should win: Parasite
Will win: Parasite
UPDATE: WINNER: Parasite shouldn’t have come as a surprise to anyone. On to the Oscars for this one.
Best Original Score – Motion Picture
- Alexandre Desplat – Little Women
- Hildur Guðnadóttir – Joker
- Randy Newman – Marriage Story
- Thomas Newman – 1917
- Daniel Pemberton – Motherless Brooklyn
Should win: Daniel Pemberton
Will win: Alexandre Desplat
UPDATE: WINNER: Joker composer Hildur Guðnadóttir did great work. I wasn’t sure how much the bigger names might dominate the category. I’m glad to see someone like her win this award.
Best Original Song – Motion Picture
- Elton John, Bernie Taupin – I’m Gonna Love Me Again – Rocketman
- Kristen Anderson Lopez, Robert Lopez – Into the Unknown – Frozen 2
- Timothy McKenzie, Ilya Salmanzadeh, Beyoncé – Spirit – The Lion King
- Joshuah Brian Campbell, Cynthia Erivo – Stand Up – Harriet
- Andrew Lloyd Webber, Taylor Swift – Beautiful Ghosts – Cats
Should win: Rocketman
Will win: Rocketman
UPDATE: WINNER: Rocketman’s song was a clear leader going into the Golden Globes thanks to the incredible duo of Elton John and Bernie Taupin. I think they have an Oscar coming soon.